Sunday, May 19, 2024

Tales from the Logbook--Divers Adrift off of Ensenada, Mexico, Causes International Kerfluffle in 1987

 

Scramble to Save Divers Led to Diplomatic Snafu caught my attention as I read the Los Angeles Times before work on the morning of July 7, 1987. The article reported on the plight of three divers south of Ensenada, Mexico.  The story described how on the Fourth of July, two of the three divers, Daniel Lavin and George Spaulding, found themselves drifting in a current after a shore dive.  The unnamed third diver made it to shore and asked a bystander to call the Coast Guard for assistance.  He then rented an inflatable boat and went in pursuit of his drifting buddies

Map of San Diego to Ensenada


As Daniel Lavin explained, after floating for 5 ½ hours “our friend was able to find us and then we ran into a Mexican fishing boat…They picked us up and brought us ashore. We were all fine. None of us were hurt....”

Apparently, someone contacted the US Coast Guard.  An overflight from a USCG Falcon jet spotted the divers but could not stay as the aircraft low on fuel.  A Coast Guard helicopter was dispatched. Just as it was arriving in the area, Mexican authorities said that it could not enter that country’s airspace.  The Mexican authorities said two of their naval patrol vessels would respond.  Lavin watched all the activity from the safety of the shore.  “By the time they got out there, we had already been rescued by the Mexican fishing boat.” 

As Lavin notes, “when I came into work this morning (July 6), I saw the newspapers that I was dead.  So I called the Coast Guard.”

The report of their death resulted from a miscommunication.  When the Coast Guard called the Captain of the Port in Ensenada, which is 20 miles north of the divers’ location, he reported that a private radio communication had been overheard that two bodies had been picked up by a fishing boat.  The USCG then issued the press release documenting the “fatal” incident.

I did notice that the diver quoted in the article, Daniel Lavin, was from San Diego.  I was friends with a David Lavin, also from San Diego.   David and I worked at Delco Systems in Goleta.  When I purchased my home, he took my place with my former house mates.  We played together on company sports teams and so on.  I wondered if there could be a family connection. 

I picked up the phone on my desk and called him.  “Dave,” I said after he answered, “I am reading an LA Times article about a couple of divers from San Diego adrift south of Ensenada…” Before I could finish the sentence, Dave sighed, and responded, “Yeah, that’s my crazy brother.  He was down there for the long holiday weekend.  He gets into situations like that all the time….”

“Wow,”I thought to myself, “remember not to dive with this guy’s brother.”  I never did get to follow up on the conversation for further details.  Besides, I got the impression from our brief phone call he really did not want to talk about it.  Also, I could never figure out why the normally thorough reporting of the Times did not name the third diver.

This story highlighted just how quickly things could go wrong.  It also tapped into a deep seated fear that some divers have of going adrift. In those days a diver’s emergency signaling equipment consisted of a whistle attached to the inflator hose of the buoyancy compensator.  I don’t recall anyone carrying a signal mirror, dye markers, or smoke/flare canisters.  Those items might be found in the emergency kit on a boat, but no diver carried them into the water.   

Not many divers carried any type of surface marker buoy (SMB) in those days.  The primitive SMB of that era was a thin, long, roll up plastic bag open at one end.  A diver on the surface would deploy the marker from a bcd pocket, fill it from the regulator and hold the end tight to keep the air from leaking out. 

Scubapro advertisement circa 1980


Brightly colored gear, which could increase a diver’s visibility on the surface, was rare.  Wetsuits, for the most part were black or dark blue as were many buoyancy compensator devices.  One exception to this trend was the bright orange or scuba blue Scubapro “stab jacket” BCD introduced in 1978.  

Color accents on dive gear, following the neon color trend in ski and surf wear, were just becoming available from the equipment manufacturers.  The change was driven by marketing, in the belief that brighter colors might attract more women to sport diving.  (Tabata USA was a pioneer in in these innovations.) We called it the “neon diver” craze.  However, for the most part, you could have any color you wanted, as long as it was black.  That maxim sticks to this day.

Image from Tabata USA webpage showing diver in black gear


Tanks did come in a rainbow of colors.  By far, the unpainted tanks with their natural steel or aluminum finish were the most common. Yellow, red, blue and black being the other color choices I recall. 



Scramble to Save Divers Led to Diplomatic Sanfu.  Gene Yasuda.  Los Angeles Times.  July 7, 1987.  Section 1, page 35. https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1987-07-07-me-1464-story.html

For an example of the erroneous press report, which reported two deceased divers had been recovered by the Mexican Navy, see “Mexico will not let US search for two people.  Escondido Times Advocate, July 6, 1987. p. 6

No comments:

Post a Comment