Saturday, July 27, 2024

Tales from the Logbook--Certified as a Diver 40 Years Ago Today

Fourty years ago today, July 27, 1984, my instructor lined me up along the rail of the dive boat, and with a Polaroid camera took the picture that would be mounted on my certification card.  Mine shows a wet haired, grinning diver.  Four decades later. the picture is faded and the card is delaminating.  I have retired it from "active" identification for proving certification.  It is hard to believe that I was once that neophyte diver at East Fish Camp on Anacapa Island.  


We completed the written test and skills check on the last night of class.  Everyone passed the tests!  Dave told us we needed to pick up our gear at the dive shop on Thursday afternoon before the shop closed and to be at the Sea Ventures dive boat in Port Hueneme harbor by 7:30 a.m. at the latest on Friday.  “The boat will leave without you so don’t be late.”

After the last pool session, many of us met up at Pizza Bob’s on Embarcadero Del Norte in Isla Vista.  We sat on the picnic tables and ordered pitchers of beer and pizza to celebrate completing the class work.  We couldn’t stay too long.  County alcohol regulations required all alcohol service to end promptly at mid-night in Isla Vista.  The bar staff would swoop in an clear the tables as the clock was striking twelve.  A few year’s later, Dennis Divins the UCSB Diving Safety Officer and his wife Sherri purchased the restaurant and continued to operate it until Dennis retired in the early 2000’s.  We used to joke that he didn’t rename the place because “Pizza Dennis” just did not have the same ring to it as “Pizza Bob’s.”

I do recall that I expereinced some apprehension about doing my ocean dives and briefly considered not showing up for the boat.  I just as quickly dismissed that idea as stupid.

Mike, his girlfriend, Sue, and I shared a ride.  I picked up those two in Isla Vista early enough to ensure we would make it to Port Hueneme in plenty of time.  With three people and three sets of gear my "fiesta orange" Ponitac Astre compact was a bit cramped.  Despite making a detour into Channel Islands Harbor (Oxnard) before being redirected to the adjacent Port Hueneme, we made the boat in plenty of time.

I asked Mike if he was any relation to General Claire Lee Chennault who had started the Flying Tigers in China just prior to America’s entry into World War II.  Mike said that he was a distant relative, but one that the family talked about.  Sue said, “Jim, only you would think to ask that question.”  Once an aviation nerd, always an aviation nerd.



Sea Ventures had a unique configuration as it had equipment compartments that extended beyond the outside rail of the boat.  We stowed our gear in the bins and set our tanks into slots behind the benches that ran down either side of the boat.  Each dive tank station was assigned a number.  We were given masking tape to place on the top of our tank and write the station number on it.  We became that number using it to charge for beverages, food and air fills, and to check in and out of the water with the dive master. 

With all the gear stowed we headed out of port for Anacapa Island.  Leaving port we passed decommissioned U.S. Navy destroyers awaiting their fate as target ships for weapons testing conducted in the Pacific Missile Test Range and shore based installations of the Port Hueneme Construction Battalion (Seabee) Base on the west side of the port.

I must have fidgeted all the way to our first dive spot, East Fish Camp.  A certain ‘what am I doing here, I shoulda stayed home’ feeling had come over me earlier that morning.  I sometimes wonder if I might have bailed on the day had I not promised to give others a ride to the boat.  I can’t explain the origin of the mood.  It wasn’t a fear of failure; I had done fine through all the training and exercises.  It wasn’t apprehension over the boat trip; the trip a few years earlier to San Miguel Island and subsequent aquatic activity provided a certain comfort. 

We motored slowly across the Channel.  Slow motoring was the only speed that Sea Ventures understood.  She was designed to haul divers cheaply, not quickly.  The joke was that dolphins didn’t swim in the bow wave because they got bored.  If you didn’t like the speed at which the boat moved, you sure would not like the alternative.

Captain Mickey, Michael De Fazio, was one of the most laid back skippers I recall, always with a smile and a wry sense of humor.  He disappeared into the wheelhouse, only to reappear to help the divers and fill tanks once we anchored.  Underway, the deck fell under the purview of his deckhand/divemaster who seemed to be constantly checking something.

The trip over was uneventful.  We anchored at East Fish Camp on the backside (southside) of middle Anacapa Island.  We geared up and entered the water for our first dive.  We approached the starboard gate, gave our number to the dive master, inflated our b.c., put our regulator in our mouth, held on to our mask with one hand and covered our weight belt with the other, just as we had been taught.  The dive master checked that our tank valve was fully opened, checked our pressure gage to make sure the tank was full, and told us “check the area below the boat, and if it is clear, do a giant stride into the water.”  If I had not been so busy sweating the details I would have been impressed with the safety of the operation.

The First Dive

Looking down and not seeing any diver beneath the gate, I jumped into space.  I hit with a splash, sank a few feet, and immediately popped to the surface thanks to the air filled b.c.   We gathered on the surface at the anchor line and started our descent as a group. 



I let the air out of the b.c. grabbed the line and started pulling myself down the rope hand-over-hand. I got about half way and couldn’t make any headway.  I really tried to get to the bottom.  I just seemed suspended mid water column.  I half rolled and started down head first kicking furiously to get to the bottom.  Steve, the assistant instructor, came up to me, signaled me to stop, and then motioned for me to vent more air through the b.c. inflator hose.  That did the trick and I sank to the bottom. 

Once established on the bottom in about 35 feet of water, I set the index on my Seiko dive watch bezel so the index mark was opposite the minute hand.  This setting would make it easy for me to determine at any point in the dive how long I had been underwater.  The length of the dive was defined, in those days, as the end of descent to the beginning of ascent. 

The first dive was a tour around the area. We started swimming in a line, two-by-two, I about 25 feet of water.  The bottom was rocky and flat with strands of kelp and a lot of urchins.  I was in the middle of the group alongside my buddy.  Dave led the group, stopping to point things out as we went along.    Steve lingered slightly above and at the rear of the group.  At one stop, he cracked open an urchin which quickly attracted a scrum of fish that fed on the exposed innards.  The most noticeable fish was the bright orange Garibaldi. 

As we moved along, I felt like I was drifting up.  I stopped and tried to vent more air from the b.c. but only a trickle came out.  I seemed to bounce up and down during the entire dive, often positioned well above the group.





Twenty five minutes into the dive, Dave stopped, gathered us around, As hed had done a couple of times during the dive, he signaled each of us to indicate that were “OK”  with by responding with the same signal, index finger on thumb the three fingers extended.  He then pointed to each diver, held up his left palm, and made a clockwise motion across it with his right index finger.  This was the signal for “how much air do you have?”  We responded by holding up the number of fingers that corresponded to the reading on our pressure gage.  During the class Dave had emphasized “you should always know your remaining air pressure within 100 psi.  You need to get into the habit of checking your air often.”

The dive plan called for us to surface when the first diver reached 700 p.s.i. tank pressure so we would return to the boat with at least 500 p.s.i.  One of the diver’s had a bit less showing, so Dave held both thumbs up and motioned toward the surface, our signal to ascend. 

We had been taught to ascend at I foot per second, or no faster than your smallest exhaled bubble.  We rose slowly.  Breaking the surface, we inflated our b.c.’s and returned to the boat.

As I filled our my first log book entry, I noted that I had started with 3,000 psi and returned to the boat with 700 p.s.i.  From my dive watch, I could see that I had 25 minutes of bottom time. I calculated that I was in repetitive group “C” from the dive table.  Visibility was about 20 feet-a number that we arrived at through consensus.  Nobody really knew.   It could have been more; accurately estimating visibility is a skill that comes from multiple dives.  The notes of my dive are cryptically short.  “TROUBLE WITH NEGATIVE BUOYANCY.  MUST GO VERTICAL TO DUMP BC.  This being my first dive, the Total Hours  to Date, Total Hours this Dive, and Accumulated Dive Hours all indicate “25.’”

The Second Dive

The entry and descent on this dive was a repeat of that followed for the first.  We moved shallower and entered a small kelp bed, proceeding through it single file.  Diving in kelp is one of the aspects that defines California diving, knowing how to move through it without getting entangled is an essential skill.  For all the non-divers who describe a drowning as “the body being wrapped in kelp” I half expected to see skeletons handing from the strands.   East Fish Camp did not have the rich, thick kelp beds that other sites had.  The kelp forest up and down the coast had been heavily damaged in the El Nino storms in the Winter of 82/83 and had not yet come back to their full thickness.   



The rest of the dive was spent demonstrating skills such as buddy breathing from the alternate air source or the second “octopus” regulator each diver carried for our buddy as a precaution against an out of air situation.  We also practiced buddy breathing as if the diver donating air did not have an octopus regulator. Finally, we each had to demonstrate an simulated emergency swimming ascents—a dash to the surface when a buddy isn’t around and you are out of air.  At several points in the class, Dave emphasized that “this is a situation that should never occur.  Your buddy should never be that far away and you should always know how much air you have remaining.”[1] 

The instructor watched that we were blowing bubbles during buddy breathing anytime we passed the regulator back and forth or during the emergency swimming ascent simulation.  In a real out of air situation that required an emergency ascent we were instructed to remove and drop our weight belt, keep our regulator in our mouth, look up and kick rapidly to the surface, exhaling all the way.  To many of us in the class, this seemed counter-intuitive.  If a diver is out of air, why would he exhale the air in his lungs?  As we learned, the air in the lungs expands with the decreasing external pressure during ascent.   Constant exhalation minimizes the chance that air is trapped in the lungs causing a lung overexpansion that causes a nearly always fatal air embolism.

The dive was a little shorter this time, with 20 minutes of bottom time.  I had started the dive with a 2600 psi air fill which was the best that the tank fill system on board could do under the circumstances. 

Back on board, Dave and Steve congratulated us on completing the dives.  My log book entry concludes, “I’m now certified.”


The Third Dive

“You are all certified divers,” Dave announced.  “Go have some fun if you want to make another dive.  Just remember, you are now on your own.”

Not everyone wanted to make a third dive.  Mike, Sue and I buddied up.  We decided that as a trio, I  would buddy with Mike and Mike would buddy with Sue. Mike was the lynchpin and middle diver.  That way we knew who was looking after who.


The air fill for the third dive was even lower than for the second, 2500 psi.  The tank was only about 80 percent full so our bottom time would be shorter.  We did a 30 minute dive, exploring the kelp and checking out the fish.  We stayed shallower on this dive, about 20 feet average, which may account for our decent bottom time despite a “short fill” on the tank.  I did note in the dive log that “I am still sucking too much air” meaning that I needed to control my rate of breathing.

Dave assured me that my air consumption, that is my rate of air use, would get longer if I continued to dive.  He assured me that with the excitement and tension, many new divers had breathed rapidly.  But that a normal breathing rate could be expected as the new experience became more familiar.  He also pointed out that taking deep, more frequent breaths, was contributing to my buoyancy problem. 

“You have a built in bc with your lungs.  Next time you feel that you can’t get to the bottom after your have dumped the air in your b.c., try exhaling all the way.  I think you will drop like a rock when you do.”

As we head back in, I contemplate the three dives and the one hour and fifteen minutes listed in my log as the Accumulated Dive Hours.  I am tired, a little sunburned, and pretty sure that my I will be diving again, inspite of my bucket list intention.



[1] Divers learned both alternate air source and single regulator buddy breathing.  In the early 1980s, many divers only carried a single regulator.  The number of divers outfitted with alternate air source (octopus) regulators was increasingly common. While regulators used in classes needed to be configured with an alternate air source, rental regulators did not.  I recall being offered a regulator without an octopus when I needed equipment for a post certification dive, despite my certification card stating that I must have an alternate air source.  I discovered that this was a non-enforceable requirement, that is, a suggestion.  A certified diver has no limitation other than those required by their own good sense.  Many divers observed that an octopus regulator was the one piece of equipment that a diver carried not for themselves, but for their buddy.  Because the regulator was viewed as a “backup”

No comments:

Post a Comment