Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Four reasons you should not become a scuba instructor

Interesting article.  I know a youngster that is going the internship route as I write this.  For him, it is kind of the "Gap Year" experience (the traditional year in Europe between completing secondary education and continuing on to University).  We had discussed the pros and cons of the internship approach before he signed on with the dive operation in Utilla. 


I was a divemaster and assistant instructor for many years, affiliated with an instructor who treated me like a certified instructor.  He once asked me why I did not complete the "leadership diving ladder" and get certified as an instructor.  I guess it fell into the category of not wanting to be ultimately responsible for other people as an instructor.  I enjoyed the assisting and divemaster part of the job; just as I really liked being a lifeguard and lifeguard instructor for many years.


I recall that someone in the class I was assisting what the difference was between and instructor and a divemaster.  Before he could respond, I offered "an instructors job is to keep you safe and make sure you have fun.  As a divemaster, I don't care if you are having fun, just so long as you are safe."


Four reasons you might not want to be an instructor

No comments:

Post a Comment